Hello from Martin

New to Korat and the Isaan? Introduce yourself here to the other members and the readers of this Forum , say hi, break the ice . . . Let us know you're here in Korat or the Isaan and like to get to know other expats in Thailand.
Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Hello from Martin

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Di Aug 21, 2007 10:35 am

Hello, I'm Martin from the US. I'm planning my third Journey to Thailand for next winter. About six weeks! Most I will spend with my girlfriend in Korat. Since she'll still be working in the daytime in town I gotta find a way to keep myself occupied, look around and do something useful while she works. In another forum I read the advice "to fill some time to visit the farang refreshment spots". I guess they mean what they usually call the waterholes. Since I've heard a lot about farangs turning alcoholic there, if they don't know what else to use their time for, I'd be grateful for some suggestions. Thanks. :)

Martin

dutch (†2012)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: Hello from Martin

Ungelesener Beitragvon dutch (†2012) » Di Aug 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Hey Martin,
There are some nice golfcourses in and around Korat.
In stead of playing hole 19,you could visit a good spa for a traditional Thai massage.
( 4 hours for the course and 2 hours for the spa and your (lonely)day is over already) :D

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » Fr Aug 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Martin,

I guess most of the sightseeing you rather like to do with your girlfriend. So you might better do the shopping or looking at shops without her. Some people say shopping together with the girlfriend always gets awfully expensive. :lol:

Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Hello again from Martin

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Do Okt 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Hey, you guys couldn't scare me off last time. I'll be coming again in four weeks. Its your turn to be scared. ;)

Hope to see some of you again. Retirement is getting nearer! ! :D :D

:t

Martin

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Okt 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi Martin,

welcome again! And I thought you had already decided for the Baja.

:prost

Klaus
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Di Nov 03, 2009 4:17 am

Ref:Martin:
Just wondering how your visit did go ???

Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Di Nov 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Hello bugnut! Your wondering how I got confused and scared? First I had gone with my girl to her town hoping there was a hotel I could stay at. But there wasn't, I stayed at her familys house. They were very friendly. But I felt just out of place there, nothing to do the whole day but read. It wasn't my place. So I moved to a hotel in Korat after a few days. In the evenings and on the weekends I went out with my girl. We had great times together. But passing the day waiting for her to get back from work wasn't that easy. You can walk around Korat for some time. But you want to talk to some people at other time. Met a few in the mall. Oh, their stories and advices were...traumatic you might say. Nothing else to talk about than how bad and backward Thailand is etc. They behaved like dead already, just trying to put everything and everybody down, probably to make themselves believe they were still alive and active. I got badly scared of their talk about unfaithful wives and their former thai husbands or other members of their families... They must have had their fun with me. I was really shocked about this " moral support" for my decision to retire in Korat. Next time I'll be more careful which strange farangs I sit and talk with in Korat. :spin I met a few nice people too but I do remember the strange ones I lot more. I was afraid of becoming like them, if I retire in Korat. I'm over that by now. I'll just not sit with people again who crowd the coffee shops in the mall every day and all day long. :oops:

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Mi Nov 04, 2009 5:24 am

I hear ya//I heard some wild stories myself,as time went on I also met some really cool falangs in or near Korat that had nothing but good to say.I heard the same stories.I would just caution on supporting any girl in Thailand or else where,as I have explained to a few of our Thai family members Im not here to be their savour Im here as a family member ,from day one I have made it clear Im not the Bank of America.I seen a Thai custom of the groom to be giving thousands of dollars to the Thai parents of the bride as a gift, I think they got some thing backwards,I always thought dad should be giving me the gift for taking his lovely daughter and providing her with a life style she most likely could never have in Isaan,
Hehe I guess I was lucky I meet my wife here in the USA,at the time she made more money than I did,when we meet she has been living in Usa for about 20 years.
Might I make a suggestion...keep finances out of the relationship as much as possible,if she truly loves you she will understand.Dont get me wrong helping family is a common thing no matter where we are from ,but keep in mind your not family yet,learn this phrase
Pee Martin jon...meaning your poor.
What I did not understand why were you in a khorat hotel and your girl didn't stay with you.I understand her job but ...her off time.
But I fully understand why you choose to sleep their(hotel) , even now when I return to the village I hire a driver every day he takes me back and forth and this includes my wife. I dont even eat much out their,for sure I dont drink a drop of their water.I get hungry I get the driver and off I go,I always welcome one of the kids to go or ask does anyone want anything brought back,our village visits are some what brief,we actually return only to see my wives parents ashes in the temple wall and say hello to the old folks the family knew.When we visit we do include visit at the local temple and have a family get together in prayer with the monks and village elders and then some what a party after wards..this I do pay for ,as a deed of respect and I do always leave the temple a nice cash gift. Im not a tight wad and do enjoy helping others but I became defensive , as I also heard some stories as you have.One year I bought all the kids on the local schools tract team a pair of running shoes,it really wasn't a great deal of money their team was like 18 students but I seen the shoes they had and most ran with none so I felt I was granted this wonderful country as my second home so giving back to it was my pleasure,but I just wont become the family's bank or loan officer.I never mix money with family but I do offer gifts at times because I want too. Each gift or offering is made from me and my wife,I catch her slipping a few kids a few bths but that's nothing,

One good thing about Thailand theirs thousands of good Thai Ladies too find.I wouldn't trade mine in for nothing,yes shes getting older now and hell ya of course like most a young replacement may seem to be a good idea but the reality of it I know that I could never replace the Thai Gem I found.Shes been faithful since day one,she is not only my wife but only true best friend I ever had.Her loyalty is beyond any I ever expected.

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Mi Nov 04, 2009 6:36 am

Just noticed the word Neuling below my name.
So off I googled the word..its finding were some what of a label as defined :

recruit 61Neuling {m}
novice 18Neuling {m}
rookie 15Neuling {m}
newcomer 10Neuling {m}
freshman 9Neuling {m}
neophyte 9Neuling {m}
newbie [sl.] 6Neuling {m}
catechumen Neuling {m}
debutant Neuling {m}
greenhorn Neuling {m}
internet noob [newbie] Neuling {m}
novitiate [novice] Neuling {m}
tenderfoot Neuling {m}
tyro Neuling {m}
Johnny-come-lately Neuling {m}

Interesting being branded
Like having a high id number in prison,as new meat.Imate 12,006 just arrived.
LOL

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Nov 04, 2009 7:04 am

That post just made you "Tourist" :wave :lol:

Though this board runs with the language pack "American English" as default most of the registered users seem to have selected German as board language in their profile. But the ranks do not change to the selected language. So they're given for all in the language the majority uses:

1. German (134)

2. English (121)

3. Nederlands (11)

4, Italian, Spanish, Swedish (1 each)
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Mi Nov 04, 2009 7:19 am

I demand it changed ..
While in Thailand IM A" LOST TOURIST"

Dayum I been scammed..so many times..but all minor acts..never had a thing stolen just mislead a little
That's why I joined korats forums..before my next return I will have a arsenal of knowledge to combat the indian suite makers and tuk tuk liars and last but not least the gem sales men....LOL

easy prey here..

Zurück zu „First Posts“