What do you want?

Talk about just anything from politics to science, society, the typical thai girl, etc., or just gossip about. It doesn't need anything to do with Korat, Isaan or Thailand at all.
Naam Jai (?2008)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

What do you want?

Ungelesener Beitragvon Naam Jai (?2008) » Di Sep 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Is Korat-info exclusive or excluded?

tubbiguy (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: What do you want?

Ungelesener Beitragvon tubbiguy (?2009) » Mi Sep 17, 2008 6:36 am

Your opening post is so vague and unintelligible as to be nonsense. Care to try again......? :wie

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » Mi Sep 17, 2008 9:13 am

Naam Jai hat geschrieben:Is Korat-info exclusive or excluded?

Definitely exclusive!

tubbiguy hat geschrieben:Your opening post is so vague and unintelligible as to be nonsense. Care to try again......? :wie

Cannot see any nonsense in the encouragement to speak open and freely! :shock:

Besides,the more you narrow down a topic in the opening post the more people might go off topic. :lol:

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am

The question "What do you want?" is directed at readers. But readers usually don't answer in words; they do rather by their consumption habits. It's up to us to interpret readers' desires by interpreting our web statistics.

So for the first half of this month for example our readers came mainly from those countries

...ctry_usage_200809.png

This makes it a healthy internationally accepted site on the topic Korat - Thailand. Certainly exclusive at its standards! :D

The times of access to Korat-Info with a peak from 8 - 17 o'clock CEST could be interpreted as many people in Central Europe looking up this forum during office hours planning the next vacation or even the retirement during breaks at work. Might give an idea about their backgrounds.

.../hourly_usage_200809.png

My conclusion as to what readers want is rather more info about Korat and life here, finding out about people already here and how they get along with the "surroundings" ( like communication with other expats) included.

In short: we're being watched by the world. No reason to put on a show! Post what you think might be of interest. It's in your sole discretion what you let others know about you and your life here. :wink:

Korat-Info is a privately run community institution for passing on information. Not a boys' club! Only clubs "exclude" people to be non-members! :wink:

How could Korat-Info be excluded? It is excluded from troll visits and sick satirical posting like "Laugh at the losers". It's not a playground of sick minds. :wink:
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Herb (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Herb (?2009) » Mi Sep 17, 2008 1:11 pm

tubbiguy hat geschrieben:Your opening post is so vague and unintelligible as to be nonsense. Care to try again......? :wie

I disagree! The opening post is fully up to the intellectual standard. In my understanding Naam Jai carefully chose his words to spark a discussion with a developing topic. Knowing a few more of his posts I read his question >What do you want to achieve by use or non-use of Korat-Info?< A very good point!

As most of us expats in Korat rather live beside each other than with each other I interpret his question as the spark to a discussion how we can manage to get closer to one another without being ridiculed as losers or idiots. It's so difficult to open up, if you have to expect to be ridiculed or insulted the next moment by someone who "acts". One remedy only: be yourself and be open; don't waste your time criticising others. :wave :salut Herb

tubbiguy (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon tubbiguy (?2009) » Mi Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm

I dont consider myself particularly prone to criticism, but the opening post gave no criteria as to what the "exclusive or excluded" referred to. The intent could quite easily have been "does the board exclude some types or social groups" and is the board "excluded from some aspects of local interest". It did not make sense to me and still doesn't. This is a bulletin board/forum.......we dont have the luxury of additional communication media such as tone of voice, body language, facial expression etc. On that basis, I don't think I am asking too much of my fellow posters to simply state clearly and concisely what you are talking about. If I wish to solve mysteries, I can resort to the cryptic cross-word puzzle.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Sep 17, 2008 3:49 pm

tubbiguy hat geschrieben:The intent could quite easily have been "does the board exclude some types or social groups" and is the board "excluded from some aspects of local interest".

I know it's easier just to tick a "yes" or a "no" box. But why don't you just give answers to both of these as contribution to a discussion? Both of them seem valid questions to me.

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » Mi Sep 17, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm surfing and serving at least half a dozen forums regularly. Threads where people are rather developing a topic than only adding to it are usually most interesting to me. What I can't stand is a fixed topic and people going off that topic all the time, someone ending the discussion by confusing everybody or someone by reminding what it was all about at the beginning. So the way NJ opened this thread looks good to me; the topic simply has to "crystallize" still. It's called an open discussion! Just a spark is needed. KC will probably separate it into more than one topic when it gets confusing. That's what they do at moderated forums, contrary to chat forums where everybody just talks some on the thread, fitting or not fitting, but in any case forgotten soon and never read again.

sebastien
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon sebastien » Do Sep 18, 2008 3:16 pm

I do believe the owner of this forum should have a goal, and not the users.

The users (or members) can decide to contribute or not, depending on their availability, their taste, their intentions.
You can leave, come back, go anywhere you want. Cyberspace is infinite!!!!!! You can insult people or disrespect them. Infinite.

I spend few hours on Internet per day, mostly related to my work. If I wasn't working, retired, or doing another job, I would try (that's my opinion and not a judgment) to communicate by another way that these impersonal messages. But I do understand that we live in Thailand, there is a cultural and language barrier, and Internet is easy. I was in a restaurant last night with 2 friends BECAUSE someone send me an email.

What do we want? We are here, or on other forums to share information, to get information, with people having the same "background", ideas, desires... But the problem is that we only have 2 things in common here: we live in Thailand as foreignersm (or have a connection with Thailand or Korat), and we communicate in English on this forum.(first or second language) Other than that, we don't have the same cultural background, the same age, we are not even from the same continent, our first language is different (many Germans here, my first language is French), not the same asset, WE HAVE ALMOST NOTHING IN COMMON. Human beings. What a complicated animal!

That's why I would like more foreigners to learn Thai as I do believe, we will understand more the culture, the country, can become closer to their society, integrate better and find people closer to us beeing Thais than another foreigner could be.

Are we proud of what we achieve today? Did we do something nice today?
Are we happy? And what about the people beside us? (Family, friends, ?)
Isn't what only matters?

I made someone very happy this morning and it made my day.
I'm taking the afternoon off and I'm spending some time of it reading your posts! :prost

Naam Jai (?2008)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Naam Jai (?2008) » Do Sep 18, 2008 9:11 pm

I agree with all of you.
Koratcat should have a direction as its his website.
I had hoped he would have been more Inclusive.
Korat-info to me means the Korat province
"Firsthand from Nakhon Ratchasima" seemed to exclude the surrounding towns, villages and cities, either poorly or not represented or discouraging to outsiders.It seems to narrow the list of potential contributors.

BUT Korat -info should remain "exclusive". Koratcat has done an enormous job in providing information, a directory and news.I recognise this effort and congratulate him.
Contributions by members should, acknowledge this, be educated or well thought out and keeping it simple is fine.

You know my saying ?
If its not kind,true or necessary don't say it.

"Excluded", yes but only in so far that those who find conversation more difficult than verbal violence tend not to post.

So lets have lively debates and I will start the ball rolling:-

I do not consider myself an "alien" in Thailand

1.How can we persuade the Thai authorities, jointly, to recognise that most of those who "live" here should be given more rights?
2. What should those rights be?

Well ! What do YOU want?

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Sep 19, 2008 9:39 am

Naam Jai hat geschrieben:Koratcat should have a direction as its his website.
I had hoped he would have been more Inclusive.

If I wanted to have a totally exclusive site I had not started a message board but rather a blog or even a plain home page. But I can comfort you with the assurance that Korat-Info is the only working multilingual Thailandforum. There have been various attempts. But just about all of them either drifted to the exclusive use of one language after a while or withdrew completely.

sebastien hat geschrieben:The users (or members) can decide to contribute or not, depending on their availability, their taste, their intentions.
You can leave, come back, go anywhere you want. Cyberspace is infinite!!!!!! You can insult people or disrespect them. Infinite.

Right! Acccess (reader) numbers show that Korat-Info is not only accessed by spambots and search engines indexing its content. People not making use of Korat-Info for posting very much in the english section simply miss a chance for meeting folks at the "Korat-Info level". Our german section is made use of very well, in spite of the numerous german Thailandforums (at least 20 still online). People use many forums at the same time or move from one to another in search of the friends they're looking for. We coexist peacefully with the other forums. And that's the only way in my opinion. Most of the english Thailandforums rather compete with each other in a permanent "forum war". Now Korat-Info as the only working multilingual Thailandforum doesn't have any competition. It's a challenge!

Naam Jai hat geschrieben:Korat-info to me means the Korat province

Our headline is

Firsthand information about Nakhon Ratchasima and Northeast Thailand by and for expats.

Everybody is open to post any topic of interest to expats here in Thailand. Including topics about their home countries, since we don't only need to understand our host country and its culture; we even more need to understand each other. Integration into the host country and the international expat community here needs participation in communication with each other. Only if I can be seen I can be approached, at least as long as I don't scare everybody away. :oops:

So keep posting about Korat, Isaan, Thailand, your home country and yourself. If a certain number of topics is reached, a new forum (category) can be opened and those threads be moved to it. Korat-Info started out very small and expanded over the years. The possibilities are unlimited with this software we're using. And nobody is actually excluded :!:

KoratCat :wave

Zurück zu „Open Discussion and Cross Talk (serious & jest)“