Cost of living in Korat

Talk about just anything from politics to science, society, the typical thai girl, etc., or just gossip about. It doesn't need anything to do with Korat, Isaan or Thailand at all.

How much per month does an expat with thai wife need to live in Korat?

Umfrage endete am Do Jan 29, 2009 8:48 am

Less than 25,000 baht
Keine Stimmen
25,001 to 50,000 baht
Keine Stimmen
50,001 to 75,000 baht
44%
75.001 to 100,000 baht
44%
more than 100.000 baht
13%

Abstimmungen insgesamt: 16

warner
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Cost of living in Korat

Ungelesener Beitragvon warner » Fr Aug 01, 2008 1:16 pm

I've been in Korat for two years now. Still I couldn't figure out how much is really needed to live here - not counting the booze, beer or extra-marital entertainment. I think I got everything in place now like house rented and furnished, car etc. Still it seems to be difficult to keep much in the wallet. I'd appreciate any advice. :oops:

(Poll inserted by admin upon request)

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Re: Cost of living in Korat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Aug 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Ummh . . . Topics like that are usually best associated with an anonymous poll, so people can contribute without revealing their personal financial situation. But the software allows for a poll only at topic start. So I would have to edit your post quite a lot by adding a poll, Warner. :?:
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

tubbiguy (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon tubbiguy (?2009) » Fr Aug 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Asking how much it costs to live in Thailand is akin to asking "how long is a piece of string".......the answer will be different for all of us. If you have recently moved to Thailand, I would imagine that your hand would be constantly in your pocket. After a year or two, with major expenditures like house, car, furniture etc sorted out, the outflow of cash would moderate. Likewise, much would depend on your lifestyle and social activities. Should you be a "home-body" who is happy to cook and spend time mostly at home, obviously this would be much cheaper than dining out often, hitting the bars and generally throwing your money around.
Compared to Australia (where I live), the cost of living in Thailand is quite cheap. Fuel prices are high, but expected to moderate. Food items are quite cheap (if you shop at markets instead of the Mall), as are utilities like electricity, water, gas etc. I know it is dull and boring, but the best way to assess the cost of living is to put a budget together. Record ALL monies spent for a few months - this will help you estimate future expenditure. Draw up a schedule of bills to be paid such as mortgage payment, car loan, electricity, fuel, insurance, medical, etc. Then estimate items like food, clothing, entertainment, home/car maintenance, phone/internet, gifts etc (there are plenty of budget planners that can be downloaded from Bank sites on the net). It will take a little while, but once you start to keep records of where your money goes, you will quickly identify what are luxury items and what are necessities, then you can cut back on wastage and save money.
I appreciate that this is a bit of work, but it will give an accurate cost of living in Thailand for YOU......otherwise, you are just guessing and may not get anywhere near the true figure. :wie

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » Fr Aug 01, 2008 8:31 pm

No doubt bookkeeping helps. Should be easy to do with software like Microsoft Money - If you're the one who buys and pays for every item directly. Now our Thai wives taking care of the household are hardly used to bookkeeping. Trying to get the figures out of them, how much they spent on what might just be what we need to cement a good relationship. And who likes to be called "keeniow" when he's still thinking about use or no use of a small item or its price/value relation. Much a lovely Thai girl will consider it loosing her face, if the sugar daddy doesn't spent open-handedly while with her. Easiest way is to look poorer than you really are - especially to her. :lol:

tubbiguy (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon tubbiguy (?2009) » Sa Aug 02, 2008 5:41 am

:wiiee You are quite right rollie. I am spoiled as my wife is quite sensible and we dont have "money issues", still I dont think I would remain quite so handsome if I demanded to know where she spent every cent of her money. My budget has some estimates in it......but is still better than flying blind and plucking figures out of the air. Having said that, everyone is different and what works for me, may not work for others.

warner
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon warner » Sa Aug 02, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks, please add the poll to my post, Koratcat! :t

mcmurphy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon mcmurphy » Sa Aug 02, 2008 9:08 am

Good poll question, KC! :lol: It fully depends on the Thai wife or our ability of "handling". :mrgreen:

issanrebel
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon issanrebel » Sa Aug 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Unheard of honesty in that poll till now. Nobody pretends to live on 40,000 or less anymore. Didn't know the inflation was that high. :mrgreen:

Harry
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Harry » So Aug 03, 2008 8:09 pm

On one side my wife keeps complaining about everything getting so fast so much more expensive all the time, on the other you can see the pride of her family now being a lot better off than just a couple of years ago. Prices are higher, but living standards and wealth are higher as well. Just look at all who own a car now, buiding solid concrete houses, sending their kids to better schools. It's not only the prices that grew. I bet if you live at the same standards as ten years ago you can do that much cheaper.

Herb (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Herb (?2009) » Mi Aug 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Standard of living is what made our lives here so much more expensive. Few years ago we all were happy with a lot less, admittedly that is not possible anymore. Consumption just draws you in. You gotta have a mansion now plus a big car to be. Motorcycle and appartment isn't sufficient anymore. Its not backward Korat anymore. You gotta do your shopping exclusively in The Mall and not a cheap cash'n'carry market. Just not your style anymore! :(

Zurück zu „Open Discussion and Cross Talk (serious & jest)“