What's happening at Wildlife Fund Thailand?

For everything that has to do with animals, endangered species, pets etc., what attractions worth seeing at the Nakhon Ratchasima Zoo or in cages at some Buddhist temples in the depth of Isaan. What wildlife can be seen at the National Park or even in the ricefields.
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Re: What's happening at Wildlife Fund Thailand?

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Sa Jul 28, 2007 9:51 am

Fang & claw at Wildlife Fund

The news that former US vice president Al Gore will not be coming here to give a talk on global warming - and hopefully to inspire policy-makers and leaders in the country to care more about our increasingly haywire ecosystem - is not as disturbing on the environmental home front as the ongoing dispute at the local conservation outfit, the Wildlife Fund Thailand (WFT).

One of the most active non-governmental organisations working for the preservation of wildlife and their natural habitat, the WFT has been rocked by bad blood between its president Pisit Na Phattalung and staff members. The conflict started in May, when all of a sudden Mr Pisit ordered the transfer of WFT secretary-general Surapol Duangkhae and his deputy Hannarong Yaowaloes to inactive posts. Mr Pisit claimed that he had to remove Mr Surapol, a well-respected conservationist, because of the secretary-general's failure to improve the organisation's financial status. However, staffers at the WFT - which was founded 24 years ago by the late pioneer of nature and wildlife conservation in Thailand, Dr Boonsong Lekhakul - as well as those at other environmental groups believed the two were moved because they came out to criticise the president for having a conflict of interest. According to Mr Surapol, Mr Pisit is unfit to serve as president of the wildlife protection organisation because he is allegedly involved in a private business that supplies wildlife to the Chiang Mai Night Safari and Ocean World aquarium at Siam Paragon in Bangkok, among others.

He also owns a restaurant, Puen Deratchan, with a private mini-zoo, which some staff claim is inappropriate for a person in his position.

The conflict eventually came to a head and led to the WFT board's decision earlier this month to lay off more than 40 wildlife activists and volunteers and to suspend its operations temporarily. In response, the sacked staff called on Mr Pisit to resign from his post or they would take legal action against him for running a wildife-trading business which they claim contradicts the mission of the WFT.

The conflict has paralysed not only the WFT and its many ecological conservation projects, namely the Ping river's community development, the rehabilitation of the natural coastline in tsunami-affected areas, and the reforestation project at Khao Phaeng Ma area in Nakhon Ratchasima, but has also spilled over to other organisations in the field. Following news about the conflict, a network of 10 environmental groups led by the Sueb Nakhasathien Foundation (SNF) sent a letter to the WFT's board, in which they threatened to boycott the organisation unless Mr Pisit stepped down. SNF deputy secretary-general Sasin Chelermlarp said the network found it difficult to work with WFT if Mr Pisit - whom he alleged has not been able to clear the conflict-of-interest problem - still continued as WFT president.

"We are working to protect and preserve the environment and wildlife. How can we provide cooperation for a WFT president who has a wildlife trade business?" he asked.

While Mr Pisit's reason for temporarily closing down the WFT is financial: the organisation's cash reserves had been depleted, he claimed - an explanation challenged both by staff and donors - he has so far declined to respond to and clarify the allegations against him. He has also failed to elaborate as to how he will go about "clearing the problems" so that the organisation may resume operations as promised.

Considering the important mission of the organisation he heads, Mr Pisit owes it not only to the staff he dismissed but also to the general public to clear all the allegations against him personally and to explain what is really going on in the WFT. He must come out and reveal all details regarding the organisation's financial standing. He must be able to explain that the mass lay-off was, indeed, necessary. Unless Mr Pisit can come up with an explanation acceptable to the public, he has no legitimacy in continuing to lead the organisation.

Bangkok Post July 27, 2007
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

marlina
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon marlina » Do Dez 18, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi, I just completed my college and have been thinking about opening a new business and have applied for a government grant. I never imagined that the grant would be approved but it was. Now I need good ideas on what type of business to start and also keep it running. What are some good products that would keep me going or that type of ideas? All helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Dez 18, 2008 6:07 pm

hi Marlina,

welcome to Korat-Info!

By posting in this thread you're thinking of something in the direction of Wildlife Protection I assume. I don't know much in that direction and I cannot see much business future in that in Thailand, though it is definitely important to be supported.

One of our german members, Quasimodo, posted (in german) about having opened a small bio fuel refinery in Roi-Et which is strongly supported by the thai government and returning profit: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=339

You could send him a PM (in english is fine) and ask where to get more info (and in english or thai). He hasn't posted here for a while but is certainly still around. :wink:

:wave

Klaus
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Zurück zu „Animals“