Re: Korat Churches and Western Religions in Isaan

For everything, that has to do with faith, spirits or the supernatural, whether is is Christian religions in Korat or Buddhist temples or Khmer sanctuaries in Isaan. Or the religious habits of the Isaan people etc.
Jeremy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Jeremy » So Aug 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Originally posted on Jul 05, 2006 8:27 am

Hi, I'm Jeremy from Philadelphia. I'm dating an american-thai woman whose family is from Korat. Eventually we plan to live there. I could find out a lot about nightlife and bars and drinking buddies etc. in the other forums.

Can you tell me something about the practise of western religions like Catholicism, protestantism etc. in Korat? Are there any churches?

Thank you in advance.

Jeremy :D

blue eyes
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon blue eyes » So Aug 13, 2006 12:50 pm

Originally posted on Jul 05, 2006 10:56 pm by "blue eyes"

Welcome Jeffery,I am not a source for western style religion in the Kingdom, but we do have our share of mentally disturbed missionaries around Issan.They put up this little yellow signs high up in the trees.Maybe they are related to monkeys,I do not know.They say something like "get jesus to have a good life" strange.I have a photo but I cannot post it here for some reas

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Aug 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Originally posted on Jul 06, 2006 1:23 pm

Hi Jeremy, welcome!

Your Questions:

Are there any churches?
Yes, I do have seen structures with a cross on top or in front. The catholics own most of them, calling them cathedral, mission, seminary, chapel. Another one is said to be protestant, I think baptist. I've also seen an old wooden house with a sign in front "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". But I don't know who goes there or what they do in there! The percentage of christians among the people here is said to be about 0.5 %, at least 93 % are buddhist.

Practise of western religions
If you meant "Westerners practising religion" it has to be a negative: I don't know any who do here; still there might be. There are no english services announced like in big cities.

I once overheard a conversation of a newly arrived german with another german. He reported having asked the priest for a catholic wedding ceremony getting married to the sister of a thai catholic and the priest having declined that (for reasons unknown to me) but offered instead a "blessing service", whatever that means.

Thais practising christian religions
It's just like Blue Eyes said; they don't want to be left behind by western fashions, so you see (thai) gospel groups showing up at christmas celebrations in schools and colleges, singing their messages.

:cheers

KoratCat
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Jeremy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Jeremy » So Aug 13, 2006 12:56 pm

Originally posted on Jul 07, 2006 8:29 am

Thanks guys,
my mom is comforted now,knowing there are churches where her maybe soon daugter in law comes from,so she doesn't have to skip a mass while visiting her son or grandchildren there.

Greetings from

Jeremy and Noy :D

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » So Aug 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Originally posted on June 07, 2006 2:51 pm

Hi Jeremy! :)

Your mom, eh?

The mormons have some data for her in the net:

http://www.cumorah.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?view_records=View+Records&Country=thailand

And there's something about the catholics, too:

http://www.answers.com/topic//diocese-of-nakhon-ratchasima

But I think from your region they send baptists, sorry, you gotta find yourself.

Hope she enjoys! :D :D

Rollercoaster

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » So Aug 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Oh, btw, Jeremy: the Korat Baptist Church even has its own website:

http://www.koratbaptistchurch.cjb.net/

Jeremy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Jeremy » Fr Aug 25, 2006 8:08 pm

Good morning, Rollie!
Thanks for that link to the website of the Korat Baptist Church. The site, especially the photo of the pastor with his family really made a big difference in my mom's attitude towards my girlfriend. Now she's believes me that thai people are not just barbarians :lol: because they even have their own churches. She's not aware of them having their own not less valuable religion. :roll:

See you guys, gotta work!

Cheers,

Jeremy :D

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Sa Sep 30, 2006 3:05 pm

.../cathedralsm.jpg

Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral is the Roman Catholic Church of Korat. It is located inside the Compound of St. Mary's School right opposite the train station.

About 16 years ago I accompanied my friend who was visiting from London, and who is a devout Catholic, to a mass there. The sermon, prayers and singing were all in thai but the ceremony did not look any different to me from Western masses. My friend participated in the Eucharist and obviously felt like having done what he went for.

At the street entrance is a sign with the times of the masses in thai and english. But I doubt the announced services are in english. I met two priests and the Monsignore before; having been educated in the Pillipines and Europe they could all speak english very well. So I guess english services are only a matter of demand.

.../koratinfo/mass.jpg

...koratinfo/lourdeslady.jpg

*Please click the pictures for full-size display!

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Okt 26, 2006 1:18 pm

And these are pics of the Gospel Church on Suranarai Road, just two blocks towards Mitraparp Road from the Royal Princess Hotel:

.../gospelchurch.jpg

.../gospel1.jpg

.../gospel2.jpg

issanrebel
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon issanrebel » Di Mär 04, 2008 10:55 pm

I met an australian missionary a while ago who said there are at least 15 Baptist churches around Korat. Might be interesting to know where and what else there is.

rawdonlad
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon rawdonlad » Mi Mär 05, 2008 12:06 pm

Yes I am sure it would be useful information for members and the information already given is of great help too. In times of need to it useful to know where one can seek spiritual help. For my own small part should anyone need help I am only too willing to help.

Jeremy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Jeremy » So Jul 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Freelance missionaries can download the Audio Bible in lots of languages, among them THAI, for free at http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/

Enjoy!

Jeremy and Noy :wave

Zurück zu „Religion“