Maligning and gossipping among Korat farang

Info and tips on Korat, Thailand, like a good Koratmap, korat hotels, banks, Korat and Isaan tourist attractions, events in Korat and Isaan,restaurants, Korat bars, shopping, hospitals, professionals, meeting points, Koratlocal topics, Korat culture, nightlife, massage parlours, sex services, house construction, car dealers and rentals etc.
Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Maligning and gossipping among Korat farang

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Fr Dez 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi guys,
I'm in town again since three weeks and three more. Already had the opportunity to talk to quite a lot farangs in The Mall and the restaurants I went to. But honestly, I'm shocked! Not even superficial smiles!
Do farangs here not talk about anything else than about other farangs and how dumb those were? And Thailand is always bad in their views too. How come? They came here voluntarily, didn't they? No way to go back or somewhere else?
Those guys must be deeply unhappy. Did they become like that over the years? Because I can imagine that they should be happy to live here in retirement with nothing else to take care of than their hobbies, their beautiful wives and themselves. But they gossip and malign... My girlfriend agrees to have observed the same. Could it be that they're so unhappy because they're sick of playing golf everyday and all days?

Are there no farangs living happily and not behaving like malignant chatterboxes in Korat?

Sorry, if this post might offend somebody who recognizes himself here. But I gotta get this off my chest. :oops:

I can still change plan and move to the Baja, my girlfriend would give up her job and come along. But I think she'll be happier in her home country and with her job.

:t (I like that smiley, makes me feel thai)

Martin

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Re: Maligning and gossipping among Korat farang

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Dez 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Martin,

that's what many of us feel sometimes. But we're living under special conditions here. Back in our home countries there are just a lot more people to select from. But to find the right friends over here one has got to go quite far in his search, look more intensive than back home where people not only live closer but where societies are more homogenous. There are more places frequented by people with the same interests. There it' s easier to just start with the selection of the place. But over here there are not so many different places to choose from. So you will meet many different people in the same place. It's more like finding the needle in the haystack.

It's not only difficult to find friends but also cultivating friendships is difficult if you live 50 miles apart. So lots of people are unhappy about never really finding the friends they're looking for. But they stick to the same places and keep on trying there, maybe not noticing that it has to do with their approach that they don't get any closer. They're bitter and disillusioned and not very communicative in positive talk. Makes them not really desirable as friends either.

I have met a lot of people over the years but only a few became good friends. But hardly ever any foreigner I met in a shopping center or a restaurant became a real friend. Had more luck with some I met somewhere by chance or got introduced to through other friends or through my thai relatives. unning this forum also helped a lot, because people can get to know you, evaluate you and choose before they really start to approach you outside or over the forum. Just gotta be careful about their intentions sometimes. :wink:

Good luck

Klaus
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

issanrebel
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon issanrebel » Sa Dez 20, 2008 8:31 am

Martin hat geschrieben:the restaurants I went to

Surveying waterholes you'll meet other water hole surveyors only! The guys not so thirsty and not needing to talk to strangers about others go out with their wives, family and selected friends. They are hard to contact for a newbie to Korat. Like KC said you'll get to know them through friends or relatives. The ones you can meet easily at a water hole are often just confidence tricksters. Beware! And they aren't talking too well of others keeping them from success! :twisted: Others might only report of their bad experiences and not really malign. Hard to tell the difference at first. "Better not challenge the bad experience (again)", many say and don't let others approach them so easily.

Thing is you'll find that in every cheapo expat society: acting rich, experienced and knowledgeable! When that doesn't work to impress others they resort to maligning to elevate themselves!

Have patience, my friend! Good friends are hard to come by. But worth a lot more than the ones who regularly and often go "brainwashing" at water holes.

Good luck! :wave

Issanrebel

Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Do Mai 12, 2011 8:42 am

Hi guys,
years went by, I didn't have much chance to visit Korat again. Looking it up on the web for changes there actually do seem some. Noisy forums got quiet, noisy bars got shut down. Did the community change as well?

:t

Martin

Zurück zu „Korat life and leasure (Korat - Gateway to Isaan)“