How to retire in Korat (What I like about Korat)

Info and tips on Korat, Thailand, like a good Koratmap, korat hotels, banks, Korat and Isaan tourist attractions, events in Korat and Isaan,restaurants, Korat bars, shopping, hospitals, professionals, meeting points, Koratlocal topics, Korat culture, nightlife, massage parlours, sex services, house construction, car dealers and rentals etc.
Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

How to retire in Korat (What I like about Korat)

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Mo Mär 03, 2008 9:58 am

Came back from my winter in Thailand and Korat just a week ago. Wanted to explore Korat and find out whether I could retire there with my girlfried. Since she was working most of my time in Korat I walked around town almost the whole day. Sure there are lots of things to see, especially in The Mall. I did like the Korat Zoo very much. But in the end it is also something you just walk around.

I can imagine living in a condo in Bangkok for example. But living in a condo in Korat spending my whole time in the city as retiree is something I cannot imagine. Getting filled up like I saw lots doing is something I abhor.

How do you spend your time there without being bored?

Already thanks for answers.

Martin

rawdonlad
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: What I like about Korat

Ungelesener Beitragvon rawdonlad » Mo Mär 03, 2008 12:40 pm

After working in the UK for 35 years and most of that 7 days a week, I wanted to retire somewhere where I could take things a little easier especially as I now have health problems. My Thai girlfriend was at Khon Kaen university and her family were at Pakchong. Some family members lived in Non Sung so I was able to find a nice piece of land to build a house on. We were married a year ago and moved into the house late last year. Most of the later part of last year was taken over with visits to the building site and even now there is still something to do round the home. Gardening, watering etc. Plus I can sit out and read a book or use the computer and watch tv. Some days we go to restaurants or a bar for a meal (I very rarely drink), or a visit to a neighbouring town plus a once a week visit to Korat to the shops and the Mall. Our next visit will be to Laos or maybe Cambodia. So every day I have something to do. I live a very active life and for me I enjoy the peace and quiet. Bangkok or Pattaya is just not somewhere I would like or find the peacefulness. But of course we are all different :D

Isaan Rollie
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Isaan Rollie » Mo Mär 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Martin hat geschrieben:Came back from my winter in Thailand and Korat just a week ago. Wanted to explore Korat and find out whether I could retire there with my girlfried. Since she was working most of my time in Korat I walked around town almost the whole day. Sure there are lots of things to see, especially in The Mall. I did like the Korat Zoo very much. But in the end it is also something you just walk around.

I can imagine living in a condo in Bangkok for example. But living in a condo in Korat spending my whole time in the city as retiree is something I cannot imagine. Getting filled up like I saw lots doing is something I abhor.

How do you spend your time there without being bored?

Already thanks for answers.

Martin

Hello Martin,

livin' in a condo in any big city, not even Paris anymore, I cannot imagine either. Unless you have a reason like living next to your workplace. Though they're said to have conveniences like cold beer and hot pizza delivery to your door. And living in a condo in Bangkok costs you about as much as living up here in a small mansion with your own garden. Settling down in Isaan requires a change in lifestyle that is hard for some people to do fast. It's neither easy to retire from one day to the other nor to move from life in a western city to life in the Isaan countryside. Most people need to do that step by step. They're undergoing a gradual change of perspective. Take it easy on your approach. Korat is also moving forward to westernization.

greets

rollie

dutch (†2012)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon dutch (†2012) » Mo Mär 03, 2008 8:07 pm

I have a weekprogram as follows.:
1 day I go to the massage (3 hours)
2 days I go for golfactivities
1 day I go to The Mall
The other days are for hospital visit-bank-post-local market-lawyer-dry clean-daily paper-small regional tours.
At home there are papers-books-internet-correspondence privat and business-cooking-laundry-dish washing. :wink:

Time is running like crazy
:lol:

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Di Mär 04, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Martin,

during my 19 years here I went through many steps:

- First I was wandering around town a lot, exploring everything. Or riding around on a bicycle (which was only a problem then with potholes everywhere but hardly with heavy traffic and careless drivers). I was living in a small town house near King's Hotel then. And I was reading a lot, watching videos.

- Next I got myself a job teaching English at a local private school. 21 classes a week with 50 teenagers in each, far too much work and stress! :shock: So I decreased the amount gradually to part-time moving ahead to teaching at colleges. But when I got ahead in that career and my colleagues asked me to join them teaching at the newly opened university after 6 years here I completely pulled the plug, started building a nice big house about 20 kms from town to finally retire.

- Next 5 years I lived in both, the small town house and in the house with big garden in the ricefield village before I moved out here completely. And even out here there are so many different things to do: garden, bicycling, internet, my pets, taking care of the education of my wife's young relatives. It's quite a task to make them live consciously and head towards a self-determined life.

Don't worry about being bored. If you keep your eyes open you'll always find something to do when staying around with the perspective of spending your life here, not just be visiting.

Cheers,

KoratCat
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

issanrebel
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: How to retire in Korat (What I like about Korat)

Ungelesener Beitragvon issanrebel » Di Mär 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Hey Martin, when's your retirement due? You gotta see life in a rice field village with unspoilt eyes before you decide to live in a condo in Bangkok. Nothing is more exciting. You just won't have people running after you trying to do business by offering you so-called conveniences and entertainment. Back to nature, do-it-yourself and fun with genuine people!

Cheers,

Issanrebel :D

Martin
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: How to retire in Korat (What I like about Korat)

Ungelesener Beitragvon Martin » Mi Mär 05, 2008 9:19 am

Thanks for your views, guys! They're very informative.

My retirement is due in 27 months. So I think I should start planning.

I always dreamed of Mexico before. But Thailand is something completely different. Maybe the big difference came from my girl from Korat. :D

See ya!

Martin

Zurück zu „Korat life and leasure (Korat - Gateway to Isaan)“