Student Loans problems

Post and discuss on all aspects of education in Korat, Isaan and Thailand, like what schools for kids, what experiences as teachers etc.
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Student Loans problems

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mo Jan 21, 2008 9:07 am

EDUCATION DEBT

Growing numbers choose to default on student loans

SIRIKUL BUNNAG

Young people in the provinces with state student loans are increasingly refusing to pay them off, being convinced the government dare not charge them for fear of losing public support. The practice has become so common that the Student Loan Fund (SLF) is struggling to deal with about 90,000 defaulters.

''Relatives of the people with debts have told them the government would do nothing, even if they do not settle their debt.

''It cares too much about its political support in the provinces,'' said Sa-nguan, 25, a debtor from Roi Et province who declined to reveal his last name.

As a result, he said, many of his friends had decided not to repay the money, even though their actions would lead to fines with higher interest rates on their loans.

Unlike his colleagues, university graduate Mr Sa-nguan, who owes only 2,000 baht to the SLF, said he planned to start settling his debt this year after finding a job.

''I've realised that I should repay the money so that the fund will be able to lend money to other new students,'' he said.

The SLF is a revolving fund. Officials need repayment to fund new student loans.

However, not all debtors get jobs like Mr Sa-nguan. Limited incomes are the major reason behind the many defaulted loans.

''I will not escape, but I will not pay off my debt,'' said Rampai, 25, a defaulter and a young mother.

Mrs Rampai borrowed 200,000 baht from the SLF to fund her high school and university studies. She now earns a bit more than 4,000 baht a month and spends it all on her monthly expenses. Her family has advised her not to rush to pay off the debt, because the large number of debtors will delay government efforts to get the money from her.

''Even though it has lodged a lawsuit against me, I am unable to pay off my debt,'' said Top, 26.

Top believed authorities were unable to find him because he always changed his first name, last name and address. His grandfather and grandmother, who were guarantors, were already dead, he added.

SLF manager Thada Martin warned that people who avoid repayment would be fined 12% of their debt.

He suggested that those with monthly incomes of less than 4,700 baht discuss their debt-relief plans with the Alternative Dispute Resolution Office in Bangkok to help solve the problem.

However, he said, only 3,000 of the 90,000 debtors have so far followed his advice to negotiate a new debt repayment plan.

Altogether, about four billion baht was owing. To take legal action would cost the SLF about 400 million baht, according to the office.

''Such a false way of thinking is very dangerous to our fund,'' said Mr Thada. ''They have to realise that the fund is crucial to other needy, poor students.''

His office expects about 800,000 students to apply for loans in the new academic year. About 350,000 students are expected to apply for loans this year.

Bangkok Post Jan. 21, 2008
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Re: Student Loans problems

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Feb 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Dead child gets debt collection letter

Student Loan Fund faces complaint

By Prasit Tangprasert

A father has filed a police complaint against the Student Loan Fund (SLF) for threatening to take legal action for a loan default against his daughter who died in childhood 27 years ago.

Prajin Chatjorhor, a former army officer at the Suranaree camp, said he has received a debt collection letter dated Jan 17, informing him that his daughter Natayani owed outstanding debts of 65,000 baht to the fund.

He said he found it unacceptable his daughter's name was being abused in this manner when she had died so long ago on August 9, 1981 as an infant when she was only one year and six months old.

He has lodged a complaint with Muang district police.

The SLF letter stated that Natayani had violated the loan contract by failing to settle the debt on time and that the loan has now been cancelled.

The letter went on to say that Natayani owed the office 65,000 baht which included the principal, interest as well as the fine.

The SLF office gave Natayani and the guarantor of the loan until Mar 31 to pay the debt or they would be taken to court.

After receiving the debt collection letter, Lt-Col Prajin said he phoned the SLF debt management department many times, but could not reach the official responsible for the case.

On the following day, he went to Nakhon Ratchasima's education zone 1 office and asked to see the original documents, but the officials told him that they had already been sent to the SLF headquarters in Bangkok. He said he decided to seek police help and produced both the birth and death certificates of his daughter to prove she could not be responsible for the debt.

Suspecting foul play, Lt-Col Prajin said he could not be certain if the debt collection letter mailed to him actually came from the SLF office.

The letter was complete with the SLF office's letterhead, the office address and serial number. Also quoted was the identification card number, normally issued to people aged 18 years and above, which the letter specified as belonging to Natayani.

The education loan policy, which was reviewed by the previous administration and which struggled to sort out the large number of defaults, is to be revived by the new government.

Bangkok Post Feb. 10, 2008
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Zurück zu „Education“