New to this Khorat web forum

New to Korat and the Isaan? Introduce yourself here to the other members and the readers of this Forum , say hi, break the ice . . . Let us know you're here in Korat or the Isaan and like to get to know other expats in Thailand.
travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

New to this Khorat web forum

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Fr Okt 30, 2009 3:11 am

But not new to Khorat region.
For now just a visitor of this great region of Issan.
Just looking for info. in general and new friends of Khorat .

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Re: New to this Khorat web forum

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Okt 30, 2009 5:03 am

Hi travel_bugnut,

welcome to our sleepy Korat forum!

Hope that you can wake up some of these guys here. ;) Where are you now? Already moving around here or still somewhere overseas waiting to catch a flight?

Best way to get to know people around around here is by asking questions. People who take the trouble of answering do already show some interest in you that way. Some you might get to know personally and maybe become friends with.

:prost

KoratCat
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

re: New to this Khorat web forum

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Sa Okt 31, 2009 3:11 am

hello Korat cat.. Nah not waiting for a flight, we decieded to skip another year visit, maybe in 2010 I re~visit after some of this policital
dust settles.Which that topic Id rather not open up . I have a few more years before I can retire .
Yes Im in the states .. My wife is from the khorat region...Actually we meet here in USA. Long story, maybe some other day.

I was just wondering with all the global ression and cost of living on a rise how is the Khorat area with standing ?

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Sa Okt 31, 2009 3:14 am

Korat cat we also stay in the Non Sung area. So your in Germany ?

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Sa Okt 31, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi travel_bugnut,

yes, I'm from Germany, lived there most of my life, but not exclusively. Been in the US, too. But the last 20 years I was around Korat.

Living here is still much cheaper than in Europe or the US. But with an increase of the overall life standard prices rise, too. It depends on your preferences. You can still buy cheap things and look poor, but that's not Thai style; they try to avoid looking poor. About all the foreigners around here can still afford big houses etc. But for those who don't receive a pension from home and expect to live here on their hands' or brains' labor it's getting harder. The Thais here struggle very hard now. Lots of the factories around Korat laid of workers who cannot go back to farming because today people don't use so many wage laborers on their farms anymore but rather machines. Those are not only faster but also more cost effective.

The "political dust" doesn't have any effect on our lives as expats around here. That shouldn't keep you from coming here, unless you plan to take sides like wearing either yellow or red T-shirts only.

three years ago I wrote something about Nonsung viewtopic.php?f=327&t=94. It's a little cleaner and more modern looking now but basically still the same country nest. But the number of foreigners around here is increasing fast.

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » So Nov 01, 2009 6:26 am

Korat Cat: Great post on Nu21nsung..Made me home sick...(2nd home). After I read your writing I went straight too google earth and zoomed right in
My Thai family is about 15 minutes drive from their ..north north west. Which all but a few of them are their anymore,a uncle and a aunt ,
everyone else moved to Bkk several years back for work,the family's home is still their but not much left other then memories and most of them were of hard times for the family. Some say they will return one day for good.The main reason we visit is the temple wall with her parents ashes in them.
When we visit Thailand usually all the family meets for a reunion of sort at the village,yes the most part is at my expense.
I made a promise to my wife that well spend our last part of our life back their,I want her to die in her homeland and not here in the States.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Nov 01, 2009 8:33 am

Non Sung's a good place for retiring, when you don't wanna run around so much anymore; when you can build your own house and just enjoy time. Working as farmers is getting more and more a life of struggling with the present government not guaranteeing minimum prices for rice anymore like before. There are some people building nice and big houses around and the government is also trying to improve the infrastructure by building roads. But they're poorly constructed and full of potholes after a while. The recession also keeps them from getting fixed until shortly before the next recession.

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » So Nov 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Korat cat I always wondered why I have not seen many water wells in this area for irrigation.Sad hearing of the rice price issue,the rich will just keep getting richer and poor poorer but that's a way of life almost every where.Maybe some should re~considered what they grow on their plot as a alternative for better profits.Seems most countries I have visited many control the maximum aloud prices such as milk per gallon(liter) not as a minum.
Speaking of cost increases its not only over their ,food cost here have near doubled,but my retirement interest of Thailand was not due to it being cheap but that sure helps but my interest is the culture and people of the country and of course for my wifes final return to her birth home land.
I dont want a big home their,I have that now,we have rooms in our house we dont even use,such a waste to me, I want a nice clean secure home over their that will some what blend into the rest,of course it will differ some but while I visit I see these 3 story houses with gates and cement walls in the middle of no where , kind of sticks out.Myself would rather be on a lower keyed nature.
I just cant get over the cost of a automobiles their..
well wife is calling thats all for now
wheres the rest of the forums gang at ??

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Nov 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Water-wells around here aren't very common, because you can drill about 20 - 25 m at high costs and all you get is salty water that cannot be used for irrigation.

Growing alternative crops is a matter of education. But the young people who can still be educated are rather longing for careers in the cities and factories. Who wants to be a farmer, if he has to go to school again to learn how to do it economically? All the stuff they watch on TV influences their lives towards technology and so-called 'modern lifestyles' like McDonald's etc.

As to big houses, I was living most of my time in apartments in cities, so I do enjoy a big house and garden, just blows my mind how much work it is to maintain that. :lol:

travel_bugnut hat geschrieben:wheres the rest of the forums gang at ??

That's a good question! We do have a lot of forums in Korat already, they're all as empty or even emptier now. There was a lot of fighting on some other forums around here over the summer. They might still come out of their hiding. I know they're reading. :oops:

I don't want to help the other forums by giving links to each repeatedly here, since some are not linking back. You can look at

http://www.grumpyexpat.com/forum/ or http://www.koratfart.com/. Another you might find at google when querying "korat forum". ;)

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Mo Nov 02, 2009 2:57 am

Thank you for the info on the wells..It was just some thing I always wondered.I asked a few Thais and never really received a answer,or as my Thai is limited to general conversation maybe they just could not understand me.Ive heard of many digging for salt also but never put 2 and 2 together.

Sad hearing of forums members not being involved,but to each their own.Im sure they all have their reasoning,actually this is the 1st Khorat area forum I ever seen,I found it threw some radio link .But then again Ive never really searched Khorat forums.I do frequent a web cam of "mikes" time to time.Im sure you seen it also before and he appears to be a good guy from what I could tell from a few brief chats we had in the past.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mo Nov 02, 2009 7:43 am

The Mike who runs the webcam is registered on this forum as "buadhai" but he hasn't logged in for ages. Probably forgot already that it exists. Never met him personally but read a lot of his posts on other forums. He's good at technology and helpful, and not just pretends to know.

Having a lot of different forums in Korat is quite good I think, because then people can find conversations they're looking for easier, and without so much interference by others hijacking the threads. But posting seems to be low this weekend, because today is Loikrathong, and the atmosphere is a little melancholic like Christmas in the west; all the women and kids are busy making their Krathongs which will be set on the rivers or ponds in the evening.

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Mo Nov 02, 2009 5:52 pm

loy krathong
My 1st was in Korat we had a great time 1/2 way threw it was a rain storm that ended it before it was over,their was not one spot to keep dry or tuk tuk ..taxi available so we just started walking with hundreds of others towards the hotel in the pouring rain . never seen so much rain and as we searched for a dry spot to rest ,one couldnt be found,It may of ruined the parades and fire works but the cool rain felt so welcoming.It was my 1st loy krathong and 1st Thai monsoon.
note of Mike speaking of his " technology.".if Im not wrong I think he has a apple.I bought a apple and loved it but it was like learning the computer all over again so I had a 30 trial period and still after 30 days I had to much difficulty using it so I returned it..Now windows 7 is out Im hoping it will have some of Macs features.Computers are changing and getting better and better..I use a google tool bar now that translates Thai to English which is a great help for me and of course I Love spell checker..

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Mo Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Just for anyone interest heres a link to the google translation page I use
this is not the actual download but will link to download source

http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/b ... x=mi&hl=en

it does most major lang. and is user friendly (from Google)

travel_bugnut
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon travel_bugnut » Sa Nov 07, 2009 6:50 am

ok..my short time here must end....wish all good luck..
Im out~ Later All !

roger rabbit
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon roger rabbit » So Nov 08, 2009 10:23 am

travel_bugnut hat geschrieben:ok..my short time here must end....wish all good luck..
Im out~ Later All !

What did you expect that didn't happen?

We read your posts. If you had needed an answer we would have given it to you. ;)

Good luck, traveller :!:

rr

Zurück zu „First Posts“