New Forum Software

For anything you want to know and need to know about this Korat and Isaan forum. Present your ideas and suggestions how to improve this message board. Ask questions on how to use different feateures. Post requests. Find out about forum news and updates etc.
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
New Forum Software

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Jun 27, 2007 5:47 pm

New post by KoratCat on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:30 pm

Well, I upgraded a little ahead of schedule. For the simple reason of being sick of having to delete every day up to two dozen spambot registrations. With the BB2 software quite a hassle. With this software here not only the spambots don't get that far, it's also just a simple click to delete their registration again.This software here might be not reliably tested yet but I think we can live with those minor bugs a lot easier than with the spambots. Please write an alert if you find a bug or need advice to trick one.

BTW I just got notice that the brotherly KF has problems. Their site shows

"Table 'smf_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired"

Good luck!
Zuletzt geändert von Anonymous am Mi Jun 27, 2007 5:54 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

issanrebel
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: New Forum Software

Ungelesener Beitragvon issanrebel » Mi Jun 27, 2007 5:48 pm

KoratCat hat geschrieben:Well, I upgraded a little ahead of schedule. For the simple reason of being sick of having to delete every day up to two dozen spambot registrations. With the BB2 software quite a hassle. With this software here not only the spambots don't get that far, it's also just a simple click to delete their registration again.This software here might be not reliably tested yet but I think we can live with those minor bugs a lot easier than with the spambots. Please write an alert if you find a bug or need advice to trick one.

Congrats, KC! Both templates look great! Thanks for making me read the board in german now. :oops:

But I found the way to change it back to English in the profile. :D

Naam Jai (?2008)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

site symbols

Ungelesener Beitragvon Naam Jai (?2008) » Fr Jul 13, 2007 6:53 am

Where are these symbols explained ? In the main board page posts disappear as others are added so one cannot tell who many posts are made in any one given period.Threads lose relevance as they move down the date list.
Is there anything that can be done to show better posts of the day on any subject and make the symbols have more relevance?

KoratCat
Re: site symbols

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Jul 13, 2007 9:16 am

I don't know exactly what you mean by "site symbols", guessing you mean the icons on the left of topic titles on the menues. I'm still trying to figure out by myself. There is a documentation of this software at http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

Flash tutorials (more of use to admins) can be found here http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/3.0/

As to the topic icons it's fully up to us how we use it, what meaning we give to them. I think even more and other icons can be added for use. How about some suggestions to make a list with explanations?

What I think you haven't discovered yet is the "View Active Topics" button about in the middle on the main page above the german section. It's one of the best new features of this software. Much better than the last post title display we had on the old forum. A mod for the last post title display is not available yet for this version of phpBB3. The one for the Beta 6 version doesn't seem to work or I made a mistake when trying to apply it. I will try to apply it again later.

Since we're able to expand this forum with subforums and sub-subforums etc. the "getting pushed down the list" can best be avoided by opening a new subforum once in a while with a new more specific title and move important threads to it. We should avoid having people go to second pages of a forum by just having more forums (subforums) when there is need for it. But it's not good to open new subforums as long as there are no topics to fill it with to a minimum degree yet. And then there is the possibility of making threads announcements (don't move at all) or sticky (only move within the sticky crowd on top of the list). Mods are able to do that with the toolbox on the lower left of a thread.

Please alert me when there is need for a new subforum/topic since only the admin can install them. The moving threads, merging threads and posts and splitting threads to keep the forum from drowning in chaos moderators have the ability to do.

Please experiment a little. As long as you don't delete or edit a post, everything that didn't go the way you had it planned can get fixed again. :D

Naam Jai (?2008)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Naam Jai (?2008) » Fr Jul 13, 2007 11:13 am

Friday 13th anything to do with it.?
I found your view tab but it should be in capitals and be more prominent
As I often forget what I have posted I must find my most recent posts tab

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Jul 13, 2007 11:34 am

The "View your own posts" is in the line "User Control Panel" in near the middle, far left to "log in".

I agree, it should be more prominent. I don't want to start making modifications like that to the software yet. It's not a final version but the Release Candidate 2. They still might do that in the next RC or the final version.

Maybe you haven't seen the "enlarge script" button yet. It's a white engraved A with up and down arrows above FAQ. First click activates, second click enlarges, third click enlarges very much, next resets to normal and so on. Very useful for us ageing guys loosing strength of visibility. :D

Naam Jai (?2008)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon Naam Jai (?2008) » Sa Jul 14, 2007 1:08 pm

I take all you say on board.
I'm not that computer literate so urgently need :-
"CONTENTS" with Sections and sub sections
"INDEX" section with cross referencing.
Abbreviations and Computer speak used?
How about an aims statement.

PLEASE please mark all translated and transposed comment using ?International signs eg GB/D or D/GB or another sign.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Fr Aug 10, 2007 10:58 am

We have successfully running a "last post title mod" now. It shows the title you gave to your post not like in the old forum the title of the thread the last post was posted in. When you go over it with the coursor the full title gets displayed. When you click it you'll be taken to that post. If no title was given none is displayed logically. Then you can get to the last post by clicking the post icon after the poster's nick.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Okt 21, 2007 9:19 pm

The development of phpBB3.0 has advanced to the release candidate 7 now. But we will still be running RC5 for awahile. Because the update will overwrite our last post title mod. There is a new last post title mod already available but applying it seem to be quite a problem. I'm working on it but it doesn't seem to be easy. Success in tests first. :oops:

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Okt 25, 2007 10:26 am

We did update to RC7 by now. Obvious to see, cause the avatars which were uploaded don't show anymore. :oops:

I'm already working on that problem. he first recommended solution of resetting the file permissions of the avatar folder and each file didn't work. I'm still trying to find a solution. The best solution seems to be off-site linking like hotlinking pictures. If anybody doesn't want to wait, go ahead. The avatar files of the forum are still all there. The update just seems to have overwritten the path. As proficient a programmer I am it might take a while, doesn't have much priority.

dutch (†2012)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon dutch (†2012) » Do Okt 25, 2007 7:37 pm

phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 107: sprintf(): Too few arguments
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is how my screen looks after signing in.
I have to wait till the normal screen appears

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Okt 25, 2007 8:36 pm

This warning about the header information originates from me changing the allowed size of the header a long time ago. It only shows sometimes. I don't have the knowledge to fix it yet. It cannot be just reversed or overwritten with a new file. Its a registration in the database. But it does not influence the performance of the forum itself.

Try opening the forum at this url

Link removed to satisfy Google :lol:

That is an original setup of phpBB3.0RC7 that is just connected to the same database. But I still have to install a lot there. New language packs, new last post title mod etc. When everything is installed and working there I will just switch over by directing the domain at it. Making all the necessary small repairs and updates of language packs and mods on this old, just updated software is very much hassle. I decided for a transition to new software instead of fixing this here at the url index.php In the end it will look completely the same but work a lot better. The developpers say: "We realize that this will not be the smoothest update for everyone, but hope that you will hold out for the better times that these changes will bring."
:lol:

Please tell me, if the problem is persistent with your connection or when it shows up again. I think clearing the cache of the forum software on the server did the trick already.

And please tell me, if you notice an avatar not showing on this old setup (/forum/). I have to change the permissions for each one that has been uploaded. The ones that link off-site should be showing all.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mo Nov 05, 2007 7:13 am

dutch hat geschrieben:phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 107: sprintf(): Too few arguments
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2899)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is how my screen looks after signing in.
I have to wait till the normal screen appears

The problem should be fixed now. :D Please alert me, if it occurs again.

Some board languages like Thai and Norvegian aren't working anymore because there are no updated language packs available yet. I keep checking and will update when available.

dutch (†2012)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon dutch (†2012) » Mo Nov 05, 2007 7:56 am

It's fixed.
:lol: Thanks

Zurück zu „Helpdesk“