KoratFart Forum Down

For anything you want to know and need to know about this Korat and Isaan forum. Present your ideas and suggestions how to improve this message board. Ask questions on how to use different feateures. Post requests. Find out about forum news and updates etc.
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
KoratFart Forum Down

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Jun 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Sorry, I don't know what string of events made it disappear, I might be trying to recover it in the next days. Question is, whether it is worth recovering? Some people might be sad, if it does not get continued. But maybe a new beginning is a chance.

Anyway, you want to know what happened. I got an email from the webhost:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Anbei eine E-Mail, welche wir bezüglich Ihrer Domain koratfart.com erhalten haben, es besteht dort scheinbar ein Sicherheitsrisiko.

Ich hoffe, dass Ihnen dies weiterhelfen konnte und wünsche Ihnen einen schönen und stressfreien Tag. :)

With kind regards

Your Pascal Wolz
webgo Abuse - Team

--

16.06.2017 20:40 - Hanno Boeck schrieb:

> Dear sir or madam,
>
> I wanted to inform you about a security issue with your web servers.
>
> It is possible to download backup files of PHP scripts from your web server.
> Depending on what these scripts do they could contain sensitive
> information like passwords. In any case: It is almost certainly
> unintended and you should remove those files.
>
> I have attached a list of affected IPs and URLs below.
> If you are not directly responsible and these are on your customers
> hosts please forward this message to your customers.
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Hanno Boeck, https://hboeck.de/
>
> -----------------
> List of affected URLs:
>
> IP 37.17.224.11 URL http://koratfart.com/index.php~ IP 37.17.224.11
>URL http://www.koratfart.com/index.php~

So I had a look at our software. The guy is right; there is a display of information about the settings, though no sensitive or even private info at all. All SMF forums have that file index.php~ openly accessible, even the local one with the dash. Or SMF's own forum.

While I was looking at things, trying to find a clue, I noticed there was an update on the forum software from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14. Ok, ran the test, all ok! So, I started the update. Completed successfully, it said. The forum still worked. About two hours later I tried to open the forum to check for new posts. Well, then I got the blank page.

Now I can spin a lot of theories, what might have gone wrong and when. Probably my more not than working TOT connection just failed when the software was updating. Or there could be something to that email from the webhost and it got hacked. I don't know! I had problems like this before and could always solve it with the help of other people on SMF's forum. But the question remains, whether it is worth, recovering KoratFart forum, as the posting participation was quite low. The reading was extremely well: we got an average of 900 - 1000 unique visitors per day.

The question is, to hang on to that forum or make a new one at http://koratforum.com, or just move to the English section here. The forum setup on koratforum.com I installed a long time ago for testing the phpBB3.1 software. now it would need a lot of updates etc.

I'll keep you informed!

:prost

KoratCat
Re: KoratFart Forum Down

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Jun 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Well, I have neglected following software development. There is a lot new! SMF do not have their newest development completed, yet; they're still at SMF2.2.Beta3. But phpbb finished their newest phpbb3.2 half a year ago without me noticing it, as I was kinda lazy in updating Korat-Info. Anyway, my first move is checking on phpBB3.2, making a test setup first. Nowadays they're lots of possibilities by merging old databases with other forums.

Before I make a decision or engage myself in fixing the Koratfart setup, I think I should consider a change. How cannot be said at the moment. But don't worry! Things gotta go forward, not backwards.

Tomorrow is another day!

:prost

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Jun 22, 2017 10:55 am

Since I think, there's a lot of work to be done to sort all this out, please post anything of importance here on Korat-Info in the meantime. That web account is 11 years old, and a lot of junk software and data has accumulated on it. Time to clear that, so I can concentrate on what matters. My hardly working TOT ADSL connection makes things even harder. But getting a better connection isn't an option right now.

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Jun 22, 2017 1:11 pm

So far I can say, there must be something wrong with the webhost's server. Already three days ago somebody uploaded some files for a fotogallery on my web account, but definitely not me. When I try to delete those files filezilla tries to connect to a completely different IP address than that of the server. I conclude from that, that my files for updating Koratfart forum probably also landed somewhere else, maybe on someone else's web account. I was also shocked to see the count of 53GB on the server, which is about triple of what our forums and data take. And from 5 days ago on the amount of bandwidth used per day has also jumped to about triple. The traffic from Austria and Moldovia has also been very much higher this month than anytime before.

Contacting the webhost is in cases like that not fruitful at all. I must find a way around that problem myself - or change the webhost. But first I need to find out more!

:wie

KoratCat

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Jun 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Strange problem! When I start filezilla to connect to our server11.webgo24.de at IP 37.17.224.11 in Frankfurt, Germany, it sometimes first tries unsuccessfully to connect to IP 207.69.188.186 in Kansas, USA.
Dateianhänge
filezilla.jpg
filezilla.jpg (61.96 KiB) 28 mal betrachtet

Zurück zu „Helpdesk“