How I do my Visa (Extension-of-Stay etc.)

For your questions about , knowledge and experiences of the official side of life in Korat, shortly: the dealings with thai government offices etc. Topics about law and where to find a lawyer or real estate agent speaking English and who can be trusted.
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
How I do my Visa (Extension-of-Stay etc.)

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mi Sep 13, 2006 9:24 am

Seeing all the confusion they create on the other two forums here over getting your visa I cannot but "contribute" by posting an article I wrote 6 months ago for another forum with a few little updates:

For doing my visa I still have to go to Bangkok. Though Korat already has its own Immigration Office, for one they don't have the personnel yet to do visa extensions, just 90-days reports, which I don't think I have to do at all. Nobody ever asked me for it in 17 years. :D So I have to go to Bangkok twice a year, once for submitting my application, four weeks later for picking up the stamp in my passport. For two I have to go to the embassy to get a paper for my application anyway.

Since I'm married to a Thai and entered Thailand with a "Non-Immigrant Class 'O'-Visa". I can get the extension for one year at a time. My wife has to come along and sign a paper - I guess some kind of guarantee.

When I'm finished I always take an empty form home so I don't have to stand there and fill the application out in a hurry with undecipherable handwriting; I fill it out at home with a typewriter or nicely in block letters. Now with the possibility of downloading the application form from their website http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php I download it into my PC, fill it out on the PC with MS Office Word, and print it out both sides on the same sheet. BTW on that website the procedure and details as to what kind of visas are available are described in detail along with other important visa-connected regulations.

Apart from all the personal data on the application form they ask only for the reasons for extension. Very simple answer: "I am married to a Thai", no excursion into how much I love Thailand. :lol:

On the back of the application they ask for a picture (4 x 6 cm). They want a newer picture, I just have to make sure that it doesn't look like the one I gave them last year. Because they always look at my application from the year before. If it's the same picture, I gotta run to get a new one done.

Together with the application I hand in a certificate I obtained from my embassy upon having showed them the paper about my pension. The embassy guarantees on there that I'm receiving monthly annuity payments and tells about how much in Thai Baht. The embassy charges me about 1.200 Baht for that.

Then I submit a certificate from my Thai bank, stating what transfers I received from Germany within the last twelve months and how much the current balance is. They charge 200 Baht for that.

Making a lot of photocopies already at home with scanner and printer is also good. I can make them look nice and don't have to wait at a photocopy machine. In fact, I just print out PDF files of my passport, marriage certificate, my wife's ID card, her house paper and my bankbook. Every photocopy has to be signed by me to guarantee its truth.

From the passport they ask for copies of the page with the personal data, the visa stamp, last extension stamp, the white TM.6 form that was stapled into my passport at last entry and the stamp of first entry with that visa and from last re-entry. From the bankbook the first page with account number and my name and the last page with the current balance. Last time I paid 1.900 Baht fee. Being prepared it's a very fast in-and-out procedure. They even say thank you to me - for making it easy for them.

There are lots of different and often contradicting posts on forums as to how much you must have on your bankbook or how much the certificate from your embassy must show as your annual pension; I don't want to add to that confusion and ask everybody to find out for himself by asking at the immigration office or looking up a really reliable source. What is one I also cannot recommend. Too much contradiction and confusion. Think a minimum amount is only high for people not related to Thais and in any case only the first time.

Upon submitting my complete application I get a temporary stamp for 28 days and am told to come back then to find out about the result. They have organised the whole procedure a lot better and more transparent, so I don't have to wait and run around so much anymore. New is at Soi Suan Phlu Office the giving out numbers, so you don't have to sit and wait for your turn but can do something else and come back when your number is coming up.

As to the Korat Immigration Office, the requirement for getting the income certificate from the embassy makes me go to Bangkopk anyway. so I for myself am not really waiting for it to make visa extensions, unless the German government opens a consulate here as well :wink:
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

buadhai
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon buadhai » Mi Sep 13, 2006 8:51 pm

You should really clarify that there is no such thing as a "visa extension". What you're talking about is an "extension of stay". I know "visa extension" is the commonly used term (even by Thai Immigration), but it is incorrect and causes confusion. For example, my visa expired in February but my "stay" expired seven months later. I went to Suan Plu in February to extend my visa, but was told by the Immigration officers that there is no such thing as a visa extension; that once a visa expires it's finished forever, and that visas can only be issued outside of Thailand. I was told to come back in September when my "stay" expired. I have since extended my stay and obtained a re-entry permit, but I do not have a visa and will probably never again need or have one.

So, please don't perpetuate the confusion caused by using the term "visa extension". There is no such thing.

KoratCat
Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Sep 14, 2006 9:26 am

buadhai hat geschrieben:So, please don't perpetuate the confusion caused by using the term "visa extension". There is no such thing.

Right! Thanks for pointing that out.

The farangs call it simply "visa extension", the thai officials refer to it as "extension of stay", and precisely it is an "extension of the permission to stay". :roll: Let me try to shed some light at the risk of boring those who don't want to know. :mrgreen:

The visa is - as Mike pointed out correctly - solely the permission to enter the country, and is obtainable only outside of it from embassies and consulates. If it is a visa for a single entry it becomes invalid upon arrival, a stamp "Journey performed" being put in my passport. Normally I also get a stamp "Admitted until . . . (usually a date 90 days later)"; that is my permission to stay. Within that time I have to leave the country or take care of an extension of this permission to stay. Failure to do so gets me into the situation of overstay; I may donate 500 baht per day of overstay to the thai government or go to jail and/or get deported. :shock:

If I leave the country within the period of the already extended permission to stay I should obtain a "re-entry permit" that functions similar to a visa: With that I am admitted to enter the country and continue upon return on my permission to stay without having to get a new one. A re-entry permit I can get from the Immigration office at Suan Phlu, maybe at the one in Korat, or - what I always do - at the Immigration's booth for re-entry permits at the airport, which is open 24/7. A passport picture is required, and last year I paid 1,100 bht for a single re-entry permit. Multiple re-entry permits are available, too. Re-entry permits are always only validated for as long as I'm granted permission to stay.

If I do not obtain a re-entry permit before leaving the country, my permission to stay also becomes invalid: I have to enter the country either with the multiple entry-visa I might still be holding or just get a new visa and upon arrival a new permission to stay, get an extension for that etc. . . . :shock:

I prefer to be certain about permissions of entry (visa or re-entry permit) and the permission to stay by asking at the immigration before I expose myself to trouble.The people there are helpful and friendly.

The other option of permission to stay, the residence permit, which is valid for five years at a time and can be applied for after I have been legally in Thailand for three sequential years, I personally have no experience with. I had informed myself about it and decided that the one year extension suits me better than going through the procedure and costs of the residence permit. It might be more suitable for others though. :)

KoratCat
Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Sep 14, 2006 8:15 pm

But of course I don't want to keep the news everybody is talking about to myself. So it is said there are a lot of new regulations effective Oct. 1, 2006. Here is what I know at the moment:

1. Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa now.

2. Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an extension of stay on retirement. They want these kids to get it based on education so they go to school.

3. Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct 1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever as long as they renew.

5. Frequent visitors: We have checked and it has been confirmed. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

6. On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a scam before issuing the one year.

7. On an extension of stay based on being a Monk. No dependents will be allowed to get an extension of stay based on being a dependent

The biggest change is item #5 and targets border runners. If you are in Thailand and need to do a run go on day 28 or 29 to get the most out of it.. If you have been in Thailand for a short time on holiday with just a stamp, and feel you may want to extend in the future or come back again an a month or two, it may be advisable not to visit Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia for a day trip as each time you enter Thailand it will count as a 30 day stamp.

Source: Email from Association of Foreigners in Thailand of Sept. 13, 2006

Zurück zu „Official Stuff“