Curious monk injured as fireworks explode
NAKHON RATCHASIMA A monk was severely injured in a fireworks blast in Non Sung district on Sunday night, local police said.
The remains of the shelter belonging to Phra Panya Chotipanyo at Wat Mai Rungarun in Nakhon Ratchasima after fireworks exploded in his room. The monk, a former military ranger, cut open some fireworks he bought to see whatwasinside. PRASIT TANGPRASERT
The explosion occurred when Phra Panya Chotipanyo, 44, dissected fireworks out of curiosity in his living quarters at Wat Mai Rung-arun.
The monk suffered serious wounds to his torso, arms and legs and the blast destroyed his living quarters.
The fireworks were bought to celebrate a krathin merit-making ceremony next Sunday.
Authorities have stepped up warnings about the dangers of firecrackers in the lead-up to the Loy Krathong festival on November 12.
A number of firecracker-related injuries are reported each year during the festivities.
Bangkok Post Oct. 28, 2008