Dress and Behaviour Code: How to get accepted as Farang

For all kinds of problems and mischief foreigners get involved in when travelling or residng in Nakhon Ratchasima, Isaan and Northeast Thailand..
WADI (†2016)
Thailand-Reporter

Dress and Behaviour Code: How to get accepted as Farang

Ungelesener Beitragvon WADI (†2016) » So Dez 31, 2006 3:26 pm

dutch hat geschrieben:I don't say hello to the persons that walk around like waste.Slippers,shorts and half naked with a lot of tattoos and mostly half shaved

Lee Kuan Yew, the ex-prime of SIN took an even more drastic stand on these characters and called them "poor white trash" - this is how meanwhile all Asians look down on Caucasians in shabby attire and chronically under-funded purses.

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Beards

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Mo Jan 01, 2007 8:34 pm

When I fist came to Thailand I still had a beard. Nobody in a western country or the tourist centers in Thailand ever looked different at me for having a beard I think.

But in Korat I was soon aware that children looked suspicious at me and preferred to keep some "distance for safety". The regular adults were still friendly but maybe a little reserved. In the academic community I couldn't tell a difference.

One of my first thai friends, a teacher at an elementary school, explained to me that this comes mainly from the cartoons on TV were the villain always has a beard. Besides that people just are not used to dark beards, since younger men don't have much growth of facial hair here.

When old men have a grey or white beard they're considered as wise or as philosophers, since these are usually depicted with full grey or white beards.

Whiskers on the upper lip are considered as stylish; some of the Kings have whiskers on their pictures, which are just about everywhere. So people are used to those.

Anyway it was kind of hot with a thick beard in this new climate for me. So I parted from it with the result of having to shave every day. Got used to it. The people around me, especially Thais, kept teasing me for a while but it was apparent that they became more open to me. Also I didn't notice children staying at an extra far distance from me anymore. Though of course I was still the farang they just had to be curious about though not suspicious anymore of maybe causing harm to them. They started circling closer around me then. :lol:
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Zurück zu „Farang News and Affairs“