Booze ban 'will harm tourism'

For all kinds of problems and mischief foreigners get involved in when travelling or residng in Nakhon Ratchasima, Isaan and Northeast Thailand..
issanrebel
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Ungelesener Beitragvon issanrebel » Do Mär 19, 2009 10:27 am

Plans to ban the sale of alcohol during the Songkran festival have sparked a bitter row between the Tourism and Sports and the Public Health ministries.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa Tuesday opposed the Public Health Ministry's plan to ban the sales, saying it would harm the already crippled tourism industry.

But Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbode insisted a survey conducted by his ministry had found that most tourists do not consider drinking to be the main purpose of their visit. They prefer to enjoy the culture and visit tourist destinations.

The Public Health Ministry has proposed two options on the ban.

One calls for a halt to alcohol sales altogether from midnight April 11 to midnight April 14. The other softer option is to allow licensed restaurants and entertainment venues to serve alcohol from 6pm to midnight during the three-day period.

The National Committee on Alcohol Policy will choose which, if any, of the two options to adopt.

Mr Chumpol said the government should delay the ban on alcohol sales during Songkran until at least next year.

He said the government needed additional tourism revenues to substitute the sharp drop in earnings from exports and investment.

The minister said the tourism industry had the capacity to recover from the economic crisis much faster than other sectors and could serve as the driving force to support the overall economy.

Source: Bangkok Post Mar 18, 2009

Now how do you feel about the Thai government allowing hundreds of people to kill each other on the roads again just for the money of thirsty farangs? I don't want to be the beer and booze companies' alibi! :x

Alfie (?2009)
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: Booze ban 'will harm tourism'

Ungelesener Beitragvon Alfie (?2009) » Sa Mär 21, 2009 12:14 am

Don’t forget that not all tourists are farangs. Many tourists to Thailand are Asian. And whatever decision the government makes, it will be their decision and therefore only they can take the credit or blame for the subsequent success or failure of that decision. And as a resident and not a tourist, I won’t be part of any booze company’s alibi. So there will be no guilt felt by me.

But you bring up an interesting point, issanrebel – are the booze companies pressuring the government to reconsider the possible ban? Or is there a conflict of interest? I wonder.

Personally, I think an alcohol ban during Songkran would be a good idea, though I’ll be very surprised if it ever comes about. But if there is a ban, I look forward to seeing the public reaction to it. Will it be another law that is ignored or bent or will it be warmly welcomed by the masses? I think we all know the answer to that. :)

And it's just an idea, but wouldn’t it be better to rearrange the Sports, Public Health and Tourism ministries. Surely the tourism ministry should be separated from the sports ministry, and sports and public health should have their own ministries or go together as a Sports and Public Health Ministry. Just an idea.

mcmurphy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: Booze ban 'will harm tourism'

Ungelesener Beitragvon mcmurphy » So Mär 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Tourists coming at the peak of the hot season during Songkran don't come here for the booze but for childish Songkran water wars. They should be protected by the alcohol ban as well.

Zurück zu „Farang News and Affairs“