Korat Social Life: Attitudes

For all kinds of problems and mischief foreigners get involved in when travelling or residng in Nakhon Ratchasima, Isaan and Northeast Thailand..
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Korat Social Life: Attitudes

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Sep 03, 2006 8:13 am

The following excerpts from a discussion about a Korat Expats Club might help to understand the diversity and climate of social life among the foreigners of Korat:

"I have found the Korat expat community a little less friendly than I would like but we all have . . . very important things to do. The problem with this is (that I see) that there are a lot of farangs in Korat and one would be hard pressed to get even a smile or a nod in passing. That's all fine, I always wish them the best." (post # 4)

"Come on, make me welcome, I'm neither a teacher nor an alcoholic, but I'm not a bad sort." (post # 12)

"I for one bumped into a farang in Phi Mai who I wouldn't want to piss on if he was on fire." (post # 32)

"Lots of individuals! That's good but this is about forming a club/group. A certain amount of conformity is necessary for it to work. Can the 'extremists' be a little more tolerant?" (post # 47)

"There is another guy frequently visiting Coffee World and he is A .... (nationality) So if you would ask him if he is ... (nickname), he will probably answer yes. I spoke to him several times but suddenly he told me he like to stay alone??!! Now we sit separately. Ok with me. His english is poor." (post # 58.)

"Now I've not spend as much time here as these other guys but what I've noticed is that many farangs come here because they don't want to interact like in other parts of Thailand. For example if for instance I was to take a walk around eithe Mall, Tesco or Big C the chances that if there is another farang there our paths will not cross, eye contact will not be made and chit chat will certainly not be exchanged. I have seen with my own eyes a farang with family in tow creeping around the isles in Tesco Lotus just to avoid crossing paths. Now don't get me wrong. Each to their own,but it happens everywhere . . . now it's not the case that I am going up to a stranger and blurt out my whole life story and bore anyone to death, but this does happen. I have seen a small gathering of German speaking guys who who do meet in the Mall but the chances are if I will walk past they will either stare as if they want to kill me or turn their backs."
The communication problem is real. As a newbie I feel awkward approaching other farangs I meet in Korat town.If I meet one in the country the scene changes and one to one seems to break the ice. I don't want or need to know their business but be friendly and share information. I know the different language problem can be an embarrassment too. . . . Language does keep us all apart even farang from Thai." (POST # 63)

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61732
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Zurück zu „Farang News and Affairs“