english speakers

Message Board at the Gateway to Isaan. For proclamations, advertisements, suggestions, notices and announcements.
goldmonkey
Korat-Isaan-Tourist
english speakers

Ungelesener Beitragvon goldmonkey » Fr Feb 27, 2015 2:40 pm

anybody out there? where have all the english speakers gone ?

Whiskey-a-go-go
Korat-Isaan-Neuling

Re: english speakers

Ungelesener Beitragvon Whiskey-a-go-go » So Feb 04, 2024 2:36 pm

hello here!

is this really the only fragment of forum for english speakers in korat left? that korat-farang.com forum seems to have been closed as well now. Maybe I should ask here.

at retirement i want to move to my thai wife's village near Korat and built a house or at least a shack. is a $1,800 usd monthly pension to live on enough for that? how much savings should I bring along to start with?

raymond

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Feb 04, 2024 2:53 pm

Hi Raymond,

welcome to the Korat-Info forum!

I just looked, and the korat-farang.com forum also cannot be accessed by me. I don't know whether it's offline for good or has some temporary problem with the name server. Didn't look that up for quite some time.

Your Question about the cost of living is not as easy to answer. Let's start with basic considerations:

Living in a village near Korat can be more affordable than in urban areas in Thailand or the beach side, but the adequacy of a USD 1,800 pension depends on various factors. Here are some considerations:

Cost of Living: Villages generally have a lower cost of living compared to cities, so your pension may go further. However, lifestyle choices, housing preferences, and personal spending habits play a significant role.

Housing: Building a house or even a shack involves costs such as land purchase, construction, and potentially ongoing maintenance. The cost of construction materials and labor can vary.

Healthcare: Ensure you have comprehensive health insurance to cover potential medical expenses. Healthcare costs in Thailand are generally more affordable than in many Western countries, but it's essential to be prepared.

Visa and Legal Fees: Understand the visa requirements and associated costs. This includes visa fees, extensions, and any legal expenses related to your stay.

Initial Setup Costs: Consider one-time expenses for setting up your new life, including furniture, household items, and any necessary appliances.

Emergency Fund: It's advisable to have an emergency fund for unexpected expenses or situations.

Regarding how much savings to bring along to start with, this will depend on the specific circumstances. Consider allocating funds for:

Housing Construction: Depending on the scale of construction, costs can vary. Get estimates for building a house or a shack in the area.

Initial Living Expenses: Covering the first few months of living expenses, including groceries, utilities, transportation, etc.

Legal and Visa Costs: Budget for any visa-related expenses and legal fees associated with establishing your residency.

Emergency Fund: Have a cushion for unexpected expenses or emergencies.

It's crucial to conduct thorough research, possibly visiting the area before making a permanent move. Talking to expats who have settled in the same or similar regions can provide valuable insights. Consulting with a financial advisor experienced in international living and retirement planning can also help you make informed decisions based on your specific situation.
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » So Feb 04, 2024 3:19 pm

Hi Raymond!

For the marriage visa, since you're married to a Thai, you need to show a monthly income of at least 40,000 Baht or a permanent deposit of 400.000 Baht in a savings account at a Thai bank. Living on 40.000 baht a month in a rural village here is not impossible, but not luxurious either.

For building a house or a shack your wife's relatives might have land for you to build upon. It depends on your lifestyle, and how much construction will cost. I would calculate from 1 million baht up.

For setting up your life here, it also depends upon the help of your wife's family.

A big chunk will be the medical factor. Insurances here are not cheap at all. Most people I know prefer an emergency deposit of at least 1.5 million baht, better twice that, in the bank to go without medical insurance. Medical services and medications usually are not expensive here. But an emergency might cost a lot!

I hope that helps.

Greetings,

KoratCat
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Whiskey-a-go-go
Korat-Isaan-Neuling

Ungelesener Beitragvon Whiskey-a-go-go » Di Feb 06, 2024 9:41 am

Thanks for those info and alerts. My wife keeps pushing and wants to move to Thailand, as I had promised her for retirement. She thinks it's time at 56 already. But giving up work and income, living on small pensions and savings already doesn't look appealing to me. Better do some time on our jobs still.

Raymond

Zurück zu „Meeting Point at the Nakhon Ratchasima Forum“