Free and ad free web services

For everything that is supposed to make our lives easier and more comfortable: whether it is useful and how it can be used . . .
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Free and ad free web services

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Di Jan 27, 2009 5:56 pm

More and more of us expats around Korat don't like to hang out in the local forums anymore due to the continued fighting there. They start to open their own websites and blogs. In our German section I had started a thread about web services that are available for free and which don't spoil your site by placing ads on them. Now I was asked to do that in English as well.

Due to the worldwide recession almost all internet hosts have lowered their fees and are trying to keep at least the customers they already have with improvements in their services at no extra charge. New customers are lured with super sweet offers. But some newbies to internet publishing are still reluctant to risk a few pennies into something they might not be able to handle anyway, afraid of getting themselves in to a dead-end street.

Since most of us are not the youngest anymore and didn't learn about information technology in school we gotta find out ourselves by trying.

A good way to start off is by maintaining a small site or a blog at one of those free and ad free hosts. I have tested some.

110mb.com gives you 5.000 MB storage space and 300 B bandwidth a month. If you need databases or sendmail etc. you gotta pay a one-time fee. They do have a lot of free software already on their servers you can install with just a click. For questions they do have a forum where people can help each other. You can use a subdomain like mysite.110mb.com or use a domain from a domain host. You can use FTP for uploading or upload via the file manager. They allow each person to have up to 5 accounts. I give 110mb.com as a free host a B+.

zymic.com gives you 6.000 MB storage space and 50 GB bandwidth a month. You can open as many web accounts as you like. At present you can use subdomains like mysite.uuuq.com or your own domains from a domain host. They include MySQL databases but no sendmail for free. You can use FTP for uploading or upload via the file manager. They also do have a forum where people can help each other. They're still a fairly young service fighting with a lot of abuse and technical problems. I give zymic.com a B.

freehostia.com gives you 250 MB storage space and 6 GB bandwidth a month. You can use subdomains like mysite.freehostia.com or up to five of your own domains. You can use FTP for uploading or upload via the file manager. You get email accounts as well, but without SMTP (sendmail). You gotta use a paid subscription for that. Your subscription always runs for one year. Near the end they'll write you an email to extend for free again. They do not allow multiple accounts. My impression of this company is they let you try with limited service until you come around for the paid service. The prices for that seem civil to me. They do have a ticket service and a forum for customer exchange. As a user of free and ad free webhosting I give freehostia.com an B+. But I fully admire their conduct of business.
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
Re: Free and ad free web services

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Sa Mai 02, 2009 4:42 pm

Time to update some of the above:

110mb.com. Since about 3 months they do not provide new users with FTP for free anymore, costs a one-time payment of $ 9.95 to get it activated. Uploading with the (still free) file manager is limited to 3 files at a time. But gzip files can be uploaded and unzipped on the server in case you need to upload a software package. Web space has also been reduced to 110mb per new user. A one-time payment of $ 5 gives you 15.000 MB secure storage space.
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

Zurück zu „Korat Internet & Technology“