My own blog or forum?

For everything that is supposed to make our lives easier and more comfortable: whether it is useful and how it can be used . . .
KoratCat
Thailand-Forum-Administrator
My own blog or forum?

Ungelesener Beitragvon KoratCat » Do Apr 30, 2009 10:32 am

I have been asked for a recommendation how to set up a personal blog.

Looking at Korat's website scene I see many people now being at the same point I was about three years ago: all those ideas about a Korat expat community working together giving information and advice on one forum shattered by the problem a certain admin has with keeping a community working smoothly. We all know what happened to me: I got banned from the forum I enthusiastically invested a lot of work into, and the reasons for that banning I couldn't agree with. So I opened my own forum with my own concept. Maybe it doesn't have as many contributors in English as I might like but it keeps working smoothly and I can concentrate the administrative work on defeating spammers etc.: I can be liberal.

Now Korat sees the same thing happening over and over again: people who got something to say and having contributed enthusiastically getting banned from that other forum. Instead of signing up under a new nick many people tell themselves "A leopard cannot change its spots", and ask: "so why should I? Should I fight for the "space" I held before or just work on "new space", i. e. get my own forum or blog, where nobody tears me away from my friends due to his misunderstanding of our communication? It has nothing to do with competition, rather supplementation, when I move to a webspace I can control myself.

Now Korat has several forums, websites and also quite a few blogs. Enough? Or too many already? I think it can never happen that we do have enough or even too many unless they'd start to be identical. It's true that many forums tend to be identical to a large degree at the beginning, usually having split off from another forum. But after a while each of them is developing its unique style. So no reason not to open another.

Blog or forum? Actually there isn't much difference, they're both interactive. There are lots of free forums available on the web. Usually the hosts offering them let ads run on them to make money. But you can easily set up your own either at a paid or a free and adfree host. Today with some forum software like phpbb3 or smf2.0 you don't need MySQL databases anymore; you can use SQLite databases not costing extra. Best blog software I know is wordpress, but you need MySQL again. There are others like Flatpress that don't.

Please feel free to ask questions.

I wish success! :D
Es gibt nichts Gutes, ausser man tut es! Erich Kästner, 1899 - 1974

roger rabbit
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: My own blog or forum?

Ungelesener Beitragvon roger rabbit » Fr Mai 01, 2009 9:25 am

Yes, KC, Wordpress is best; you can just download the software to run on your own webspace or get hosted. 3.000 MB for uploads of pics etc. are free, pay for more. Use of own domain costs. There is some system of credits you can either earn somehow or pay for. What I like about Wordpress is their new upgrading feature: no hassles with exchanging files anymore, you just hit a button and let it do itself. :D

rr

mcmurphy
Korat-Isaan-Forum-Gast

Re: My own blog or forum?

Ungelesener Beitragvon mcmurphy » Sa Mai 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi there once again!

- My own website I started many times - over and over. :oops:
- Couldn't get myself to declare it as good enough and kept deleting and starting anew.
- Big difference to posting on forums or any other website belonging to someone else.

- The site fully controlled by me is not some show I'm playing somewhere in interaction with others, it's my own stage, actually my house: I got two blogs working now but they can only be read by my relatives back in the US who got permission. I even keep Google out.

- Starting your own is maybe easier if it isn't for the whole world yet. You can always change and do more, let others in or make the whole public.

See ya

mc

Zurück zu „Korat Internet & Technology“