Teenage boy sucked into pool pump
A 14-year-old schoolboy from the Isle of Man has died while on holiday in Thailand after being sucked into a swimming pool pumping system.
It is thought Nathan Clark opened a metal vent at the bottom of the pool in an attempt to retrieve his goggles.
The incident happened in the resort of Pattaya, east of the capital Bangkok. He was holidaying with his father, brother, stepbrother and stepmother.
Police are investigating how he opened the vent which should have been locked.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman has confirmed the boy's death.
The incident happened on Friday at a water park in the resort, which is 85 miles (137km) from Bangkok.
A Thai police commander said Nathan was swimming with his brother in a whirlpool area when he lifted up a grate to try to retrieve his goggles.
BBC sources in Bangkok said the swimming pool was less than 1m deep.
He was then apparently swept into the pool's pumping system.
His brother raised the alarm and his father jumped into the water to try to find him, but his body was found 30 minutes later in the pool's engine room.
Nathan's family have reportedly criticised lifeguards at the pool who they say refused to take their pleas for help seriously or carry out a search of the pumping system.
The water park has now reportedly offered the family compensation.
The Foreign Office said: "Our consular people in Thailand are giving assistance at this tragic time for the family."
The Clark family had been due to move to India where Nathan's father Jim had been posted for work.
BBC news July 13, 2009
So much to safety in family resorts...